Wednesday, March 28, 2012

TreeView and update panel

I am creating a browser for a large document management system, modelled on the way windows explorer works.

So: ... I have a TreeView providing a view of the folders for which I am populating the child nodes on demand when a node is expanded or clicked. (The original method of populating the whole TreeView was impractical since it took several minutes to return and often timeout!)

At the same time, if a node is clicked, I show a list of the documents in that folder.

I can get this working, but somewhere along the way, the client stops working and the TreeView click event stops firing.

Is this a known issue or do you think I am asking too much of the framework?

I have since abandonded Atlas for this and am currently living with a long blank screen between page refreshes, which I think is totally useless for user experience.

Sorry not an immediate answer, but I would also be interested in anybody else's take on this.

I will trying to build more or less the same thing over the next couple of days (for an online content management system) so I'll get back to you then on it (successful or not!), but no I don't think it's asking too much, it's a perfectly logical use of it!


Coming back to this post.. .

How have you implemented the TreeView - just that it is supposed to implement client call back as part of the control so you shouldn't need to have blank screens and whole page refreshes - possibly a pause before expanding if it's big - but no blank screens?

I've just dropped it into my content management system, and while it's not pure Atlas, it seems to work fine using the client call back? Probably I'm missing something as only just started playing with Atlas.

No comments:

Post a Comment